Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Reflections of you...





I think that's the name of a song... not sure. But anyhow... I have been chatting with my wife about who I am as we work out whats wrong with and doing the typical psychological analysis. I am not saying that there is something seriously wrong with me... I am not medically crazy or something. But you know, we are just taking the time to look at me and kind of sort things out. Once you get married or you have a seriously relationship this will become the norm and your partner will live for these moments! Just kidding... love you babe! Oh boy... I will probably have to go through another one of these things when I get back home! :)






So for the purposes of keeping this blog active I am going to chat a little bit about reflections.







Visually speaking they are amazing and will continue fascinating us forever. Imagine one of those gorgeous landscapes with the mountains surrounding a still lake. The upside-down mountains we find in water, lined up against the real thing will take our breath away. Just seeing something again, differently, or in something that you wouldn't expect will keep us busy and interested for a long time. You ever notice that in most major buildings you will always find a mirror by the elevator or in the elevator? The reasons that its that are a) aesthetically speaking its very nice and makes everything seem larger and b) people spend their time looking in the mirrors and they dont notice the time pass.





As a photographer I am always looking for reflections of things. On the left you can see a photo of water drops reflected on the spoiler of my car. Underneath those reflections you can see the hazy mirror image of the tree outside my parents house set upon the blue sky. Sometimes you really have to pay attention and catch what is already out there. It takes work to see the things that your mind will pass over quickly as mundane.





So there is a deeper meaning to all of this. I think its the same thing with my life. I dont think I search hard enough to reflect upon what is going on in my life. I just gloss over things and not realizing that getting a different perspective can certainly help and make me see things more clearly. Its not obvious to stop and reflect or look at that reflection of you. Sometimes its not fun and you see things you dont like. Its so much easier to ignore it and continue on your way!

I haven't spent tons of time thinking this out and making something really powerful that will make you go home and look at yourself differently. However the main points still stand. Reflections are beautiful and whether or not we realize it, we are drawn to them and are mystified by the mirror-image. Reflection is necessary for our own lives. We gotta take a deep look at we are and see ourselves with all our blemishes, pimples, and unshaven stubble. Hey vampires can't do it... we should take full advantage.

No comments: