Wednesday, June 11, 2008

stories in people watching


thinking, originally uploaded by impactmatt.

Sometimes I catch people just hanging or just chilling out. I don't catch them like they are falling out of the sky, but I notice them even though there is nothing all that notice-able about them. So I guess they catch me off guard. They live in a separate world but yet they share a little bit of mine. We share the space we are presently in, but their story is different. They have a different group of friends. Their experiences are unique to mine. But eventually if we dig deep enough we will realize that we have common interests, stories, and friends (or friends of friends). We have read the same books and watched the same movies. We order the same thing at restaurants and have walked the same streets.

Look at me getting all deep!

Basically what I am saying is that people watching is fun and I do it from time to time and when I get really bored, I invent stories about the people I see and play out their lives in my head! So take this guy above:

"Why did I wear this jean jacket? Its so retro. I can't pull of this look! I might as well grab my hypercolor t-shirt and my Vuarnet sunglasses and put on my L.A. Gear shoes. I am too old for this shit. I have more gray hair than a black and white movie. No wonder I am sitting here all alone. I should be sitting here with the love of my life. We should be planning our vacation to visit the grandkids and what we are going to do with the money I won from that Centrum Silver contest. Instead of planning my golden years, I am sitting here in my jean jacket. That Kevorkian guy has a good idea. Maybe I'll trade my jacket for "an early check-out."

or perhaps,

"Why is this guy taking a picture of me... OK, ok... be cool man... just be cool. Its just a coincidence. He doesn't know what I did... there is no way they could have found the body yet. I buried it so, so deep! Damn! He is still looking at me with that camera! Something is not right here... Ok pretend he's not there. Look innocent... no one knows anything. All right, if I need to run I am going to have to make a break for it soon and then if he follows me... well, I will just have to be sure that I bury him deeper than I did the first guy."

Man... i need a lot of help...

No comments: