Sunday, June 8, 2008

i am a poulet serial killer!


egg, originally uploaded by impactmatt.

The only eggs that I used to eat were scrambled or omelette style. Everything else made me sick. Though it looks pretty and is very iconic, the traditional yellow and white of an egg did not work with my tastebuds. I could stand boiled eggs until I threw up at a restaurant when I was six and it smelt like eggs and grape juice. The appreciation of grape juice came back... not the rank vomitey smell of boiled eggs... breakfast anyone?

But a couple of months ago I started making eggs over-easy and that I could handle. But then I was wracked with immense guilt! My wife and I just had a baby and thats all I could think of one day when I cracked open an egg. Thats a little baby chick that will never come into existence because I like breakfast foods at anytime of the day! I am taking a little chicken fetus and cooking it up like the diabolical beast that I am! I was there when my wife gave birth and I had the honor of catching him. I was the first person to hold him on this planet and I can't imagine something more special. I saw the placenta pop out a little later... and even eggs have a little placenta-like thing attached to it!!! (you can even see it in the picture!) So I am haunted. What if some huge cosmic being decided to crack my mom open and slowly pour me out into a universal frying pan! Or whisking me until all my guts and innards are one nice frothy mixture.

So yeah... i felt guilty for a while. But I make these really good breakfast sandwiches with three over-easy eggs! They are really good... but thats what I think about everytime I crack open an egg.

No comments: