Wednesday, April 30, 2008

i am a big fat ice cream eating pig... OINK OINK


I went to Ben and Jerry's last night. I wanted to taste that delicious, mouthwatering, ice cream. However, since they were giving away free cones last night, there was a line up that stretched around the block!!! Combine that with a pregnant wife that needed to pee, really cold temperatures, and the fact I was wearing short sleeves... we went to Dairy Queen instead! Seriously, we left and went to Dairy Queen.

Now I am not a huge fan of Dairy Queen. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I find it to sugary, too sweet, too much fast and not enough food. I leave DQ with this sickness in my stomach and the desire to wash my mouth out with something cool and refreshing. They are certainly not going to be hiring me for any kind of promotions. So now that we have established my aversion to the Female Ruler of Milk Products (Dairy Queen for those of you going huh???) we end up going and I end up ordering the product that I had been seeing on ads everywhere. I have been lured in by the Siren's Song. TV-says-its-good-therefore-I-will-obey...crush-capitalism...

So I gave into the pressure of what TV was telling me to get. I feel horrible about it actually. I don't like DQ ice cream... so someone explain to me why I am paying about 5$ for some "fancy" frozen treat that I really don't fully like? I don't know... makes me sick actually. So anyways... it gets worse. I am falling into Western consumer culture. I am at a store who's product I don't particularly enjoy... I am paying way too much for something I don't really enjoy (The five bucks I spent could have fed, clothed, educated, and provided medical care for a child I don't know in Africa for about 5 days. Since I don't know him personally, I can brush that off and feel less guilty, although if he was to come over and hang out at my place I would have a hard time explaining to him why I couldn't help him out because I was eating ice cream that I didn't like. I now have to go back in this paragraph and find where was my jump-off point for this tangent that I am now on.)... ok, so I am paying too much for something I don't really enjoy, and I am now EATING THE BOWL!

I think this is one of the ultimate signs of where our culture has gone horribly wrong. At what point, after increasing our serving sizes by 250%, did we say... "Hmmmmm... I have no eaten enough. My dining experience is somehow lacking. I know! I will eat the bowl which my desert came in!!!" Huh!!! Go figure! We are now trying to consume everything before us. No more is it, "Make sure you finish everything on your plate!" or "I want you to lick that plate clean mister!" Now we will be telling our chubby children to eat the damn plate! And this eating the plate/bowl is not an isolated incident... at the hierarchy of the Canadian diet, Tim Hortons (for all you Americans, insert with any fast food chain because I am sure its been done before, or skip over these next couple sentences, or google or wikipedia Tim Horton's to be able to follow along.) had that creamy soup that came in the bread bowl... sooooooo good! I am so hungry right now. What made my bowl eating experience even funnier was that the bowl came in another plastic bowl so that the bowl I was going to eat wouldn't touch their dirty table... so there goes the environment angle that some may try and propose!

So... anyhow. You can come up with your own moral-of-the-story thing. However for me, slowly-but-hopefully-surely I am realizing the error of my ways and will soon be able to go and have a small healthy portion of tofu ice cream straight out of my hands so that I am not stuffing the bowl in mouth or hurting the environment.

No comments: