Monday, April 21, 2008

a canadiens fan stress...





As I write this, my Montreal Canadiens are in the battle of their lives to climb out of the first round of the playoffs. I am at work, jealous of those who have off and stressed that I can't be at home yelling and screaming at the tv screen. BECAUSE it does make a difference. They can hear me through the boob tube and the coach will adjust his lines based on the yelps, groans, and fist pumping from my couch.

I love this team and I love watching them succeed. But even more I love how the city reacts to their success. We won't talk about when they fail... it is just ghastly (ooooh big word! Ghastly!)!!! But this city has been buzzing with activity and support. I wouldn't be able to count all the flags that people have attached, taped, glued, tied, and welded onto their cars, homes, and place of business. The entire Montreal Fire Department is getting burned (great play on words) for painting the fire stations in support of les Habitants! The mayor is not happy since he is on an anti-grafitti kick. Where is his spirit!? No multiple terms for you! It has been amazing to see how this team's success or failures have tied this whole city together in a knot of electric frenzy!

Montreal is one of the most beautiful cities in the world and hockey is truly one of this city's passions. And whether I am looking at the ugliness of them losing (which doesn't happen often and better not happen tonight), the panic of fans, media, and players as we enter game 7 of a series that should have ended in our favor 2 games ago, or the sound of "ET C'EST LE BUT!" on RDS, I am reminded of how special this all is.

No real other reason for this post... just to go on about my Habs and my city. We're up 1 - 0 right now!

No comments: