Monday, April 7, 2008

have a little faith in me...


joseph.in.blue, originally uploaded by impactmatt.

When you walk into the majority of Catholic churches you are usally surrounded in a sweet-smelling, comforting warmth. For some it may the deep spiritual bond and security one may feel as they step into the sanctuary, the home of their religious fervor. I think that it is literally the candles. When you need something in particular it seems as though lighting a candle in church helps...apparently. You drop your coin into the box ...(nothing is free... although technically I don't think you have to. I am not too sure how much time God has to count loose change. I mean I guess He has the time and the ability... He is God after all.)...so as I was saying, you drop your coin in the collection box, take a little stick, light the stick from a pre-existing flame, light your own candle, and then say your prayer.

Many protestants shun this kind of unnecessary ritual... God doesn't need a candle's help to see our prayers (He's got wicked cool night vision goggles!). There is something obviously beautiful to walk into a church and see rows and rows of flickering prayers, hopes, requests, dream, and thanksgivings. Yellow flames illuminate rainbow colored glass and equalizes the urgency and importance of the prayers and of the believers themselves. As the candles are lit from one common flame, all supplicants, rejoicers, mourners, and last-minute-end-of-the-line-hail-mary-full-of-gracers, are joined in their hope of a reply. Its beautiful. Its inspiring to see different people who don't know each other be mystically linked. To see that light and to feel the heat is a reminder that we are not alone in our struggle. That we are not alone and that there are others out there who feel the same.

I am trying to make a big decision. Column A or Column B? Left or right? Will I take door number 1 or door number 2? Both sides have their pros and cons. Either choice could probably work out. The tough part is that one of them may be a better choice and I am not sure which one it is. The advice from my friends... "Have faith that there is someone out there who is bigger than you are and that He has your best interests in mind. Have the faith to try and figure that out and the rest will go a lot smoother.

I better go light a candle.

No comments: