Thursday, February 28, 2008

they are god!!!


have.one!, originally uploaded by impactmatt.

Last Sunday my lovely, gorgeous wife and I (hopefully she will read this and I will get some brownie points) were walking downtown Montreal. We love Montreal so much because it is a beautiful city with so much to offer anybody who has any kind of interests. You like poetry, head over to a slam. You like hockey, welcome to the "hockey mecca" of the world. You like latex and fetish stuff let me introduce you to my old part time photography teacher! I am not making this up. I haven't gone though... seriously... ummmmmm.... back to my point!

So we are walking by two street kids who have their sign out and they are asking for change saying that they want to put it towards a happy meal, because there is a Mickey D's right around the corner. Of course being the good Samaritans we are... we were in a hurry to get somewhere. But we passed back shortly after... (yeah we were in a real hurry... we were actually trying to get to church. How horribly unJesus but very religious is that?) and when we passed by again there was a young married couple who ended up giving them two McDonald's gift certificates. It was amazing to see four faces light up with love for another. I know for a fact that the couple who gave the coupon are Christ followers, or Christians, or whatever they are called these days... but you know what? They didn't pass along a pamphlet, or preach, or even condemn them into the fiery pits of hell because of their tattoos and piercing (that last part is laced with sarcasm for those who don't know me that well.)

I like seeing people who normally aren't loved being loved. You can tell that this meant a lot to those streetbound kids. As the pair of "do-gooders" walked away one of the kids said aloud, "Those guys are god!!" I thought it was really appropriate... not that they were, but that by an act of love God was seen and experienced.

(note: the picture has nothing to do with the story other than this homeless guy was willing to share his smokes and beer with me when it was obvious that was all he had. it was pretty powerful for me... he allowed me to capture it on film!)

No comments: