Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Werewolf beer...


I love Quebec. I love beer. I love Quebec beer. Its all so simple. However, this past weekend my love has been called into question. I was helping a friend move, because the week before and the week after July 1st everyone is moving (see last blog in June for more details.) So anyhow, as custom dictates the movee will reward the mover with beer and food. In this case, there was no normal beer at the store and so we got beer from a small micro-brewery in Quebec City. The beer itself was all right, but the labeling and packaging left much to be desired. It is a horrible idea, but I have to admit drinking werewolf beer is pretty damn funny!
Anyhow, Grimousse is a play on words from the company name Grimoire... (the beer is a red beer so in french it would be a "rousse" and there is foam in the beer and in french that is called "mousse.") Why they chose a werewolf for a label, I have no clue. Absolutely none! This company has other "different" types of names for their beers. For example: L'Armure (which is armour), Ivrest (Everest), Hawaienne (with a bikinied girl on the label), and La Noire Soeur (the Black Nun... which is a play on words in french... the phoenetic sound of Noir Soeur means darkness). So basically we have these trippy beer names. And I am OK with people getting creative with the names. However this beer takes the extra step to add on some weird poem/prose on the label. The french is just as bad as the english translation... have a look:
"Damned to wander in obscurity
Such is his fate for being different
No one could see what is.
Day and night, he prowls; a shadow.
His look dazes those he encounters.
But do not fear, for he can be tamed.
Indulge him and you will see the truth.
When you are ready to whisper his name,
You will be different from the others,
For the legend will be eternal.
His aroma will be unique.
His silhouette will be fearsome for others."
What kind of acid was this guy on? Its a beer people!!! Its a beer with a werewolf on the label!!!! What name am I whispering? What aroma am I sniffing? What are the marketing guys sniffing? What am I indulging to learn the truth? Indulging in too much of the product before it leaves the warehouse most likely.
Anyhow... I found this really funny and bizarre at the same time!

No comments: